Friday, October 22, 2010

Inspired Beader: Joanniel

Orbit Resin Earrings by Joanniel Creations

What does it take to create a stunning piece of jewelry? Unique materials, quality craftsmanship, and an eye for color. These concepts can be found in the earrings, necklaces and bracelets at Joanniel Creations. This is not your grandmother’s jewelry, yet the same sense of timelessness permeates every piece.

Inspirational Beading: How did you first become interested in jewelry design?

Joannie: Well, I started making jewellery after I lost an earring, but my designs were ordinary at best. I think it was discovering the new world of Etsy that inspired me to create better designs. Originally, I was just trying to recreate a pair of earrings I had lost but now I strive to create beautiful jewellery that others will be proud to wear. Being on Etsy is fun because you get to see all the beautiful things that other artisans create. It inspires to me to better myself and my designs.

Glow Labradorite Earrings by Joanniel Creations

Inspirational Beading: Do you have a favorite material to work with?

Joannie: I absolutely love gemstones but I don't have nearly as much as I would like to. I'm still in the developing stages of my business and I'm slowly trying to accumulate a variety of gems to create with. I love Swarovski crystals too, basically I love anything sparkly.

Inspirational Beading: What is your most exciting inspiration of late?

Joannie: Painted jewellery. I love being able to hand paint some charms to incorporate into my designs. It adds a personal touch and it makes me feel more creative rather than just putting metal parts together. I even love working with acrylic cabochons. They're so versatile. Now I want to put them everywhere!

Indigo Red Rose Earrings by Joanniel Creations

Inspirational Beading: Many of your designs feature bold colors. What’s your favorite combination?

Joannie: I do like to use contrasting colors a lot. Like red and blue or pink and turquoise. It stands out and I love that! I'd have to say that pink and turquoise is my favorite combo of the moment. However, I'm starting to get into paler tones like white and light pink or white and pale yellow. I just ordered some white colored metal charms to make earrings with. I can't wait to see how they turn out. But I don't think I'll be stepping away from bold colors too much. I just like colors that pop.

Inspirational Beading: Who do you hope to inspire with your work?

Joannie: Moms who have forgotten to pamper themselves and left feeling beautiful on the back burner. Slowly, they can get back into the habit of taking care of themselves a little more. Maybe that can all start with a piece of jewellery that will make them feel more feminine and beautiful.

Eclipse Asymmetrical Necklace by Joanniel Creations

More About Joannie:

As a tired and busy mom of one it's hard to set time aside for making jewellery. I can't imagine having two or three kids when I'm this busy with just one. I'm doing this interview with a baby on my lap and Iron Man animation cartoons on a loop. But making jewellery is my 'Me' time so I make time for it. Working on my jewellery is relaxing and soothing for me. I love sitting at my work desk, which is really just a corner of the bedroom, but it's my little space just for me where I can play with all my beads.

Being a stay at home mom and having your own business is a balancing act. You can't devote all your time to one and not the other, yet you can't split your time 50/50 either. If I decide to spend my day making jewellery, then the whole place is a mess. If I spend the day cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, and so on then I don't have time to make jewellery. Then there's my son who always comes first. If he's sick or needs special attention then nothing else gets done. But that's part of the deal!

Paloma Purple Flower Earrings by Joanniel Creations

I would love to have a shop with 300+ items for sale at all times. I'd definitely be bringing in more money, but that just isn't possible at this time. I do what I can when I can, and figure that taking care of myself and my son are the two most important things I can do for my family.

You can see more classic jewelry creations on Joanniel.com. Follow the Joanniel Creations blog, to learn more about her inspirations, or follow Joannie on Facebook.

Copyright 2010 Inspirational Beading and Joanniel Creations

Get a Feature on Inspirational Beading


4 comments:

  1. Great job on choosing all the photos. This interview turned out great! I'm really happy with it. Thanks for featuring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful interview! One of my favorite things about Joannie's creations is her use of color, and that she's not afraid of bold colors. Her work is absolutely gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work. Good use of pretty materials!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great interview! thanks for sharing some inspiratin for us all! beautiful work, joanniel :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com