Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Bracelet a Week: Tropical Beach

Tropical Shell Bead Palette

If only reusing, repurposing, and upcycling was as easy for everyone else as it is for beaders. Can you imagine if we were to throw away every bead we got that wasn’t quite what we’re used to? Sometimes beads are broken or wonky (that’s a technical term). Sometimes we just haven’t learned or discovered the best way to use them.

But we hold on to those beads, or share them with our crafty friends. Beads never get thrown away. I even keep all of my culled beads. I have a little cup full, right on my work tray, and I use them as stop beads. With all of the different sizes and colors, it makes adding new thread simple and efficient.

Over the last two years, I’ve had plenty of opportunities to use beads from two huge strands of mother of pearl chips that I got at a closing sale. There are still quite a few left, but there are only a few more projects worth. No more than ten, I’d say.

Tropical Blue Shell Cuff

There are a lot of beads in the mix that I have not used because the cuts weren’t right for a project. Many of them are too thin and sharp for necklaces. Some of them are oddly drilled. After all the pieces I’ve made with the chips, I’m starting to recognize the wonky ones.

“Well, hello Big Comma Shaped Bead with the scratchy side. How is Mister Shaped Like a Cougar’s Claw? Oh, I’m afraid neither of you is going to be in this necklace. Maybe next time.”

For this week’s bracelet, I decided I was going to put some of these beads to good use. So long as there’s no chance of the pointier beads poking someone, they can still make great jewelry. I just had to think of a safe place to put them.

So I made a pretty aqua blue and turquoise cuff, and sewed a whole bunch of my misfit beads to the center in a fun cluster. There are still dozens more chips - good and not so good ones - so I’ll be keeping this design in mind for later.

Copyright 2011 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading


4 comments:

  1. I love that and you know we all have those beads (yes I agree Wonky is a technical bead term) so this makes me look at mine in a whole new light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very economical of you! And something new and beautiful out of it at the same time... I've come to expect nothing less. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm really happy with the way this one turned out. It's possibly my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this makes my heart happy! I'm so glad I made it over here to see it!! SO PEACEFUL!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com