Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Bracelet a Week: Blue Shells

Blue Shell Rectangle Bracelet

This week’s bracelet was a bit of a last minute success. I was really sidetracked with other projects, and I needed a simple design that I could create in just a few days. While I was putting away shell beads from a necklace I had just finished, some blue mother of pearl rectangles jumped out at me.

I’ve only used them once before, in my SOS necklace, and since then I’ve been at a loss for what to use them for. Sometimes I wonder why I bother buying accent beads, since I don’t really do stringing, and I often have to hold on to things forever before an idea takes hold. Luckily, something usually comes along, and it often works out, too.

I was a little surprised by how easy it was to come up with a technique for using the rectangles after all this time, and I worried that it wouldn’t turn out as well as planned. I used a combination of right angle weave and ladder stitch to weave the shells together in a simply line, added a button, and voila! I’m actually quite happy with how it turned out., especially with the beachy combination of blue and topaz.

Copyright 2011 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook


4 comments:

  1. I love this bracelet! It's simplicity and straightforward design makes it elegant while still being cool and fun. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often have the same problem with accent beads. I often have little use for them since I'm a seed beader at heart. This bracelet came out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Sometimes simple is best. I struggle with accent beads, too. As I mostly use beadweaving techniques and make charm bracelets, I don't have a lot of need for them either, but they're still tempting sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very interesting and beautiful work and patterns....................love it

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com