Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Egyptian Gods Challenge Wrap Up

The past 14 months have been filled with amazing inspirations and beading successes. My personal beading challenge to create a piece of jewelry for the most popular Egyptian gods has been a great learning experience in many ways. Most of all I learned just how much of a workload I can handle, especially when taking on a lot of elaborate designs.

I had two more pieces in my to-do list – a collar for Ra and a rope necklace for Wadjet. It was a bit of a disappointment to have to carry the challenge into 2014, and now I’m afraid that I’m going to be cutting it short before completion. I’m clearing everything off of my plate to work on an important side project, and that means it’s time to bring this challenge to a close.

To save time for getting all of the pieces completed this year, I’ve skipped sharing updates of finished pieces. These are the designs that have made it through – some of them are my among favorites for the entire challenge.

For Shu, the god of air, I created a new ombre lariat with blues and whites. I’m incredibly fond of this design overall, especially when blending colors together. For this necklace, I got to include some striped Java glass, which is always a welcome treat when beading. Although the colors didn’t blend quite as well as some of my other ombre designs, I still love the combination of whites, blues and browns for the god of air.

Shu of Sun and Sky Lariat


For Tefnut, the goddess of moisture, I ended up combining a lot of different inspirations. Water, serpents, the sun disk of Ra - this necklace was a hodgepodge of ideas relating to the first divine mother. To bring everything together, I stuck to a fairly simple palette, with a splash or two of gold for Ra. My favorite thing about this piece is the combination of color blocking and stripes in the fringe - something I’m definitely going to come back to in future designs.

Tefnut the Cobra Necklace


Next was Thoth, the god of scribes. Whenever the essence of a god or goddess is difficult to capture literally, I’ve usually gone with a collar in the god’s colors. This time I took the opportunity to change things up a bit with a new design. It took forever to stitch, but it was a really worthwhile experiment. I combined papyrus-like colors with stripes and Nile hues for this necklace, along with ibis inspired long daggers.

Thoth the Ibis Collar


And the final design in this challenge is a Sa amulet necklace for Tawaret. The hippopotamus goddess was often shown holding the Sa amulet, so I attempted to capture the look of that symbol with colors inspired by the Nile and hippos. The beadwork took a lot longer than it would seem for the end result, so I probably wouldn’t duplicate this piece, but it turned out just how I wanted.

Tawaret Sa Amulet Necklace


Thank you so much for joining me and reading along with this very rewarding challenge! I had hoped to have a new challenge underway by now, but it has been put back on the drawing board until I’ve wrapped up my new project. In the meantime, I do have some fun ideas for quick new designs that I’m looking forward to sharing whenever I can.


Copyright 2014 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


2 comments:

  1. Stunning pieces. I think the rope for tawaret is my fave or maybe the one for tefnut...can't decide. Love 'em all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I'm almost disappointed that this challenge is over... almost...
    But I'm very happy to see that you've reached your goal! Congratulations are in order! :)
    I hope that you will come up again with such a daring challenge!
    Each and every piece that you created reminded me of The Mummy movie... my most favourite movie of all time along with my most favourite beader! Ok I'm getting very sad... Please continue to create Egyptian themed jewellery even if the challenge is over...
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com