Monday, July 25, 2011

Beaded Body Parts

April's Army

Disclaimer: This post contains mature subject matter.

The only thing better than using your talents to help someone else, is doing it with a sense of humor. I often get a burst of enthusiasm every time I come up with a new beading challenge for this blog, but none of them top the excitement of creating cheeky designs for April’s Army.

I actually have a few different designs lined up to donate, but they keep getting shuffled around. The piece I wanted to make for this month’s charity shop got pushed back yet again, because some of the supplies I needed were held up in the mail. So I moved on to my next, but no less outrageous idea - a beaded nipple.

The concept for this unusual design occurred to me awhile ago. Whenever I make something with circular brick stitch - especially if the first few rows match the base bead - I noticed there was something odd about the look of the beadwork. When I realized what it was, I knew I had the makings of a great Regretsy-worthy design.

To make this necklace, I combined a pink cat’s eye with seed beads in pink and pale beige. The domed shape of the circular brick stitch really adds to the overall effect, don’t you think? The pendant is suspended from an optional reverse-daisy chain, with a few different styles of beads in pink, white and cream.

Impossibly Pink Beaded Nipple Pendant


The April’s Army charity shop opens today, and is stuffed full of handmade and vintage goodness. Not all of the designs are wild, and there’s something for just about every taste and budget. You can learn more about the shop’s mission, and the recipient of this month’s fundraiser on Facebook and Regretsy.

Here are a few of my favorite jewelry designs from the shop:



Mature Content













Click images to see the listing and learn more about the artist behind each design.


Have you ever made a totally outrageous jewelry design? What’s your favorite ‘against the grain’ theme?

Copyright 2011 Inspirational Beading and April's Army
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading


9 comments:

  1. I think it is very pretty. You are probably going to laugh at my question and that is okay...but where did "regretsy" come from?

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Danielle! You know, I have no idea how Regretsy.com "the fail blog of hand crafts" first got started, but it's much like any humor site, with the exception that it can help Etsy sellers gain outside exposure.

    It's not for everyone, but the community there has a lot of team spirit, and the fundraisers are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't done anything myself in the theme of 'outrageous,' *yet*, but I have to admit, I loved and admired a beaded, peyote-stitched toilet roll earrings and pendant. The pendant had a flap of tissue and looked to be hanging off the towel rack. Brilliant and 'cheeky' :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mortira, I love what you did, put in some humor into it, but also a different approach of putting it into jewelry. It's a different way of viewing the female part that is sometimes lifethreatning, and sometimes viewed leud (if you know what I mean), but I really love your creativity. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mortira that is so funny! And I'm really laughing because just this morning I was trying to figure out how I could be a brain! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great, Mortira! I love that it's both beautiful and funny. Not easy to carry off both of those in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for featuring my piece! (it's the victorian-style cuff bracelet)

    I love yours too! I wish I had the patience to work with seed beads- you can create such beauty with them. Alas, I don't, but I'm always amazed to see the gorgeous things other artists make with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your necklace made me laugh too - and I think that April's Army is a great cause, having helped several artists in need. Great beading!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com