Wednesday, February 1, 2012

2012 Destash Beading Challenge

Destash Beads

With two year-long beading challenges finally wrapped up, it’s time to start a new journey in jewelry making. This year, I want to invite everyone to join in and share their ideas, inspirations and creations. For 2012, my challenge will be to finally use beads that have been languishing in my stash for far too long.

With tax season rapidly approaching, I’ve been busy going through my shops, paperwork and bead trays, making spreadsheets, and counting away. While I was at it, I prepared some beads for this year’s challenge. First, I needed an empty compartment tray to help me stay organized and focused, so I packaged up a whole bunch of beads from my acrylic collection, and I’ll be finding new homes for them in a series of giveaways over the next few months.

With the storage space free, I continued doing inventory on the last three years of beads, and set aside everything that has been hanging around for more than a year. I was actually a little surprised by how few compartments I filled, but there are still enough beads to keep me busy. The challenge will be to find a way to use each of them before the end of 2012.

I’m really looking forward to using up a few of these little treasures, including my last pair of heart shaped nut beads, and some vitrail rivolis. I’ll be posting each design here on Inspirational Beading to mark my progress on this destash journey. To make this challenge fun and a little easier, I’m not going to set any deadlines or quotas. I want to let the beads lead the way, and hopefully they will all find the designs that they were meant for. This also means that I can invite you to play along!

Acrylic Bead Collection

To join in the 2012 Destash Challenge, all you have to do is make a design using beads that you’ve had for more than a year - anything goes! Then post some before pictures of your beads, and after pictures of the finished design on your blog. Don’t have a blog? You can also send your pictures directly to me at InspirationalBeading@gmail.com and I’ll make a feature for you!

My first design for the Destash Challenge is already under way, using beads that I’ve been hoarding forever. I can’t wait to show you the results, and see what you come up with, too!

Copyright 2012 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook


6 comments:

  1. I love the challenge! Maybe it'll motivate me to use some of these beads that I've had since like... well, forever seems to be the best word.

    Waiting to see your results! Hope I'll have some results to show soon, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea to use up leftovers and up-cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great challenge! I will definitely try to participate at least a couple times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea - I have way too many beads in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely think I need to accept this challenge! I have soooo many beads just hanging around :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com