Friday, May 4, 2012

Retro Shell Necklace

One of my favorite things about the destash challenge so far is the moments where I don’t bother to look before I leap. Whether I’m combining unusual elements, using up an intimidating bead, throwing in large quantities of favorites to make a project work, or just going with a crazy idea, I’m loving all of the risks!

This week I put the finishing touches on a necklace that I never would have created it if weren’t for this challenge. Although I used a new favorite technique, the combination of beads was very unusual. In my destash tray I had a handful of shell beads leftover from a strand frenzy I went on a few years back, plus some white cat eye cubes and rectangles from the same era. I’ve used all of these beads many times, and there weren’t really enough of them left - let alone inspiration or ideas - to use any of them individually. So, I decided to put them all together in once piece.

Because the beads are all different sizes and shapes, I thought a multi-strand approach would be best. All I had to do was build a seed bead palette to coordinate the variety of colors. I had a little ceylon pearl and some aqua blue, but not enough to build a whole necklace. I only winced for a moment when I grabbed a few packets of transparent cobalt seed beads to use as the main color. After all, why buy the beads if I’m not going to use them?

After counting out the accent beads and separating them into equal portions for each strand, I got to work stringing a striped pattern, alternating between aqua, white, and pearl. I was so excited about how the necklace would turn out, that I forgot to save a few accents for the anchor chains. Luckily, I had some crystal AB druks and shocking orange 8/o seed beads to stand in.

Blue Summer Stripe Necklace


Even though I went with a striped pattern to fit with my current style, I think the necklace turned out delightfully 1980’s. I can picture it with acid washed jeans, wrist bands, and orange plastic earrings. Radical!

Copyright 2012 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


5 comments:

  1. Mortira it's amazing what you can do with a few beads.

    I could just kiss your hands :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! I love the bright pop of red and orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOve it, Morti! Am constantly amazed at your fabulous creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the color palette you went with, those warm and cold colors together really gives the piece a lot of contrast :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com