Monday, October 25, 2010

Winter Mint RAW Bracelet

Let There Be Light

Have you ever noticed that beads have an amazing ability to trap memories? Just like a familiar aroma, seeing a favorite bead or beaded creation can transport us back to another time. When looking through my collection of finished projects, I’m often reminded of movies I watched or books I listened to while making them. Going back to somewhat forgotten materials in my bead stash can remind me of when I found them.

The Inspiration:

I was recently going through my tray of cubes, triangles and hex cuts, and came across the remnants of a few baggies of 3mm TOHO Hybrid cube beads. They were part of my very first online bead order, and when I saw them again, I was taken back to the very early days of Inspirational Beading, and my Etsy shop. It was fun to look back and remember how wide-eyed I still was about so many different types of beads. I had been drawn to the dual-tone cubes because they were unlike anything I had seen in my local bead store.

I thought it was about time I used up the last few of these blue-green beads. The color combination makes me think of mint - it’s a sort of mouthwash color, but prettier. And since winter isn’t as far away as we might hope, I wanted to do something cool and fresh looking.

Winter Mint Bead Palette

The Beads:

The transparent cubes need a neutral base to really stand out against, so I paired them with opaque white seed beads to start. Right angle weave seemed like a great treatment for both, so for simple accents I also added some 10mm fire polish in a pretty light aqua, that plays nicely with the Hybrids. The entire palette reminds me of late winter days, when the sun comes out to reveal bits of green beneath the shallowest snowdrifts.

The Beadwork:

To make this wintery bracelet, I started out using the cubes and seed beads to make right angle weave squares. The white beads are from a sorry batch, and the irregular shape makes the little RAW windows look crooked. I was happy to have the fire polish, which helped to straighten things out a bit. These I added as accents within some of the windows, in a floral shape.

Winter Mint Bracelet by The Sage's Cupboard



I like the overall look of the bracelet, though I’m not sure I’ll attempt another. Adding the fire polish to right angle weave squares requires so much needle work, it was exhausting just adding a small handful. I was able to use up almost all of the cube beads though. There are only about 5 left, which will look nice in some bead soup of the future.

Copyright 2010 Inspirational Beading


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mortira,
    Very nice bracelet, and creative in the way you used firepolish beads! I wanted to let you know that your cubed colorlined beads came in the mail today, and they are so pretty and there are so many of them!!! The kids are going to be so excited! I will bring them to our next class and I will also show them your website at that time. THANK you very much for sharing your beads. I will have to pass beads along to others, too.
    Thank you again for being so generous. I appreciate you. :-)
    Julie S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what they create! I'm glad I could help you spread the love of beading to some budding young artists!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com