Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Bracelet a Week: One

green building

I’m at it again! When I said that I might do a bracelet challenge after A Necklace a Day, I was mostly kidding. Once the last challenge was finished, I took a much needed break, and spent some time getting things organized, working on my shop, and writing more.

Just like taking a long vacation from a job, I almost didn’t want to go back to beading. I needed something to motivate me, and get that spark going again. I finally decided it was time to work on finishing the beaded rope I started for the tubular herringbone tutorial. When finished, it will be a fun variation of my Cornucopia Lariat, along with a new PDF tutorial.

Did I really want to spend the next three weeks working on a plain brown rope? Nope!

I considered working on the rope one packet of beads at a time, and making other things in between each addition. Then I thought “What if I make one small project at the beginning of each week, and work on the rope the rest of the time?”

Neon Green and Copper Lined Gray Seed Beads

What a great idea! And if I’m going to make it worth while, I might as well blog about it. Doing a bracelet a week seemed like an obvious choice, since I haven’t done them yet, and I need the challenge. The thing is, I don’t really like making bracelets, because I never have any ideas for them. And I never have ideas, because I don’t really like making bracelets. Hopefully, a little pressure will help things along.

So, can I make one bracelet a week for 52 weeks? I’m going to say probably. Most likely. Hopefully! If I get to thirty and can’t stand the sight of beads anymore, I reserve the right to call the whole thing off. I know I can do thirty. One project a week is easy compared to one a day!

So, the very first project of A Bracelet a Week is this totally weird and fantastic cuff. When I took inventory of my 6/o seed bead tray, I realized that I’ve had these neon lime seed beads for over a year, and never even opened a single package. Not once have I looked at them and thought “Those would be great for…”. So I decided to try and use them all up at once and be done with it.

Green Apartment Windows Cuff by The Sage's Cupboard

The biggest reason that I’ve never used them is because nothing goes with neon except stark neutrals and other neons. And although I have hot pink and fluorescent orange beads, too, I had no desire to combine them whatsoever. Also, if I wanted to be sure to use up all or most of the 24 grams I had, I needed to do something simple and bold.

I envisioned all kinds of things from ropes to cuffs, mostly with stripes and swirl patterns. And then I had an idea of boxes and blocks, and that turned into an image of windows. I just happen to have a whole lot of copper lined gray 6/o seed beads that look just like tinted window glass. Perfect!

So that’s one down, and only 51 more to go. Wish me luck!

Copyright 2011 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading


6 comments:

  1. Love the green with the darker beads, it reminds me of snakeskin patterns somehow.
    Good luck with your latest challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how you find inspiration everywhere for your pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually thinking of going along with you on this one but.....I am not sure my current stash can handle that kind of pressure. LOL I am glad you are doing one a week instead of one a day at least I may be able to keep up! LOL Love the green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be so neat! I would love to see some other beaders get into challenge mode - even for a few weeks. It is so much fun!

    One day you're totally stuck for ideas, and the next thing you know, you've got to carry a pen around so you can jot them down any time. Great motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you played with color. I just did an article on my site www.jewelrymakingprofessor.com about playing with color. I also have some neon colors in my stash and never really sure of what to put them with but for some reason I was attracted to them at one time. I love the idea of the challenge. You have inspired me.

    Thanks!

    Eri

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com