Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bead Wish List: Cabochons

Last week we revisited the technique behind a simple peyote stitch bezel. Today, we’re going to browse through some of the wonderful non-drilled beads that you can pair it with.

Cabochons are typically dome shaped, but can come in all manner of shapes and sizes. The basic criteria is that it’s a bead-like object that has no holes for stringing. They’re great in embroidery and mixed media projects. Some cabs are ideal for glue-in designs, like rings and post earrings.

Sea Urchin Polymer Clay Cabochons by BeadComber

Sea Urchin Polymer Clay Cabochons
By BeadComber

Silver Pinwheel Glass Cabochon

Black Silver Pinwheel Glass Cabochon
From Artbeads.com

Acrylic Faceted Rectangle Cabochon

Yellow Acrylic Faceted Rectangle Cabochon
From Aunties Beads

Afghani Tribal Brass Amulet

Afghani Tribal Brass Amulet
From Happy Mango Beads

Carnelian Rose Resin Cameo

Rose on Stem Carnelian Resin Cameo
From Rings & Things

Vintage Glass Sapphire Jewel Cabochon

Vintage Glass Sapphire Jewel Cabochon
From A Grain of Sand

Vintage Rutliated Quartz Cabochon

Vintage Rutilated Quartz Gold Cabochon
From Eureka Eureka

Pink Daisy Vintage Lucite Style Cabochon

Vintage Style Pink Daisy Cabochon
From Bello Modo

Fused Glass Cabochon 10 Pack

Fused Glass Cabochon Assortment
From Spleodar

Vintage German Glass Cabochon

Vintage German Glass Alexandrite Oval Cabochon
From Beadaholique

Aqua Cobalt Rectangular Cabochon

Aqua Cobalt Silver Foil Rectangular Glass Cabochon
From Venetian Bead Shop

Fossil Coral Triangular Cabochon

Fossil Coral Freeform Triangular Cabochon
From Lima Beads


Do you have a favorite cabochon to use in your work?

Copyright 2011 Inspirational Beading and Friends
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading


10 comments:

  1. I love cabs with faces on them, I don't know why but I think they are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! There are some really wonderful embroidery artists that make great use of face cabs. I love seeing those designs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mix of cabachons! Here are some of my favorites:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/artisanclay?section_id=5663437

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love working with cabs but I rarely find ones that I like. You're wish list has some beautiful pieces in it. I adore the urchin cabs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI,Mortira:-)
    I can admit,that the topic of Your today's post fits me very well,because I am currently on the stage of looking for interesting cabs and observations,how Beading People in the world frame them.
    I have never made it before,so I eagerly watch all the available tutorials,read the books and watch the instructional films.
    The examples of the cabochons You're presenting here are very much intersting,with their variety of shapes,textures and colours.
    So far-I have got the only one:it is the big,oval turquoise and I am going to bezel it in few days time.I am a little afraid,but I think the work's going to be fine.
    Warm Hugs-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mortira - you must be familiar w Sherry Sarafini's work. If not, google her -- she's a master w cabs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes. I have spent a lot of time just admiring Sherry Sarafini's designs.

    I like an ambitious project now and then, but I can't imagine the time and patience it must take for those masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mortira,
    Great Topic!
    I've been thinking all of last week about cabochons as I'm currently working on another beadembroidered collar. I'm using abalone for that one, but will be using some of my sand dollar cabochons for the next.
    You've also reminded me to create more face cabochons ;)as I've sold all the ones I had, lol. Getting out the 'to do' list.
    Thanks so much for featuring my sea urchin cabs, one of my favorite textures.
    Have a great week! :)
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh I love so many of these cabs. The little daisy, the black pinwheels and the sapphire ones are my fave. I love vintage and vintage looking cabs. I also love using things that were not born a cab, but with a pair of snips and a sanding tool are easily converted into one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jennifer! I love the unexpected cabs, too. If you can figure out how to wrap beads around something, it's worth a try!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com