Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Red Desert Garnet Collar

Black and Garnet Netted Collar

I am really excited about my new Egyptian jewelry challenge, and not just because Ancient Egypt is one of my favorite topics of inspiration. This experiment will give the a chance to fashion some new netted collars, which are one of my favorite things to make.

Even though getting vertical netting started is not the easiest of beading tasks, and the following stitches are so easy that they risk being dull, a netted collar is fun to stitch from start to finish. I’m not sure why it’s so much more diverting than it’s beading cousins like peyote stitch. Perhaps it’s because once you’ve established a pattern, you only have to repeat simple bead counts - after awhile, they become almost soothing.

The first collar of the line is really simple - the most ordinary and uncomplicated collar I’ve ever made. I chose a simple design because I wanted to show off the fabulous limited edition garnet beads that I acquired just for the challenge.

Like many of my “New Beads” finds, I came across these beads quite by accident. I was looking desperately for some more 6mm tortoise druks, which have become contenders for my all-time favorite beads ever. Unfortunately, they are a limited edition finish, and when I went to purchase more, I found the original source had dried up.

I tried Google, but I was only able to locate some 3 or 4 mm sizes, and had pretty much given up. Then I was browsing around ArtFire, and saw some two-tone black and white druks, and decided to chase them and see if they would bring me to some tortoise beads.

Rare and Vintage Czech Glass Beads

Sure enough, I found a healthy supply waiting for me at The Bead Stylist. So I browsed around to see what else I could find, and came across these pretty garnet ovals, and some vintage nail heads that I couldn’t pass up, even though I have no idea what I’m going to do with them.

The ovals have a coated finished, so I had to spend a bit of time filing down the holes, but it was totally worth it. I love the way the speckles stand out to meet the black background of the netting. For a little more kick, I used black lined garnet 3-cuts for the picot edge along the inside of the collar. Their red has a little more blue to it than the ovals, but the sparkle the facets bring to the design makes up for it.

Copyright 2011 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading


9 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for selecting some of my beads to create your beautiful necklace!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Egyptian-style jewelry! I think the netted collar is beautiful :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about vertical netting. I also like it because it works up very quickly, and I just love the way it drapes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Speed is definitely an advantage with netting, especially if you keep it simple with fewer rows or variations.

    I promise I will whip up a tutorial for this stitch very soon. Caution: It may include some really horrible sketch examples, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello:-)
    Ancient Egyptian style is not my favourite one either,but sometimes I also think of making the real collar based on this style.
    Your inspirational,net necklace is really fabulous and so simple at the same time.Maybe it is true,that there's real elegance in the simplycity.
    Nice colours-wonderful work!
    Best Greetings from Denmark-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!!! You have a wonderful blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely necklace! Love your blog and your beadwork!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...this one is extremely beautiful....u got a very nice blog..beading is my recent hobby..pls check my blog.http://zovascreations.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com