Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Favorite Beads: The Lot

Wood and Wool Bangle by yellowee

Today my guest, Ellen of yellowee, shares her love of a fun assortment of beads and buttons for decoration and embellishment.

Inspirational Beading: What is your all-time favorite bead?

Ellen: I love glass beads of all types, and also lots of semiprecious stones, especially labradorite, moonstone, amethyst, and garnet. Basically anything glittery or iridescent. I also have a deep love for buttons, which can be used in many of the same ways as beads, and I view them as the same type of supply for my creations. Jars of vintage buttons can be a lot of fun, because you never know what you'll find inside.

Inspirational Beading: What is your favorite technique or method to use them?

Ellen: Since I'm primarily a fiber artist, I mostly use beads as an embellishment for my knitted, crocheted, and needlefelted creations. My favorite use of beads in combination with fiber is to make fiber jewelry.

Inspirational Beading: Of all the creations you’ve made with these beads, which one is your favorite?

Ellen: This brooch I made with strips of fabric and brighly-colored glass seed beads: Crochet Flower Brooch

Crochet Flower Brooch

It turned out really big and bold and I love the little pool of beads in the middle. It was also one of my first international orders, and it was really exciting to me that someone in Australia liked it as much as I did!

Inspirational Beading: Do you have any tips for making the most of these beads?

Ellen: I think a lot about the combination of colors when I'm making something. I take my time choosing yarn based on its colors, and it's important to me to select beads that harmonize and enhance the overall effect. I guess my tip to other artists would be not to be afraid of unusual color combinations. Something that "clashes" can also be unique and exciting.

Inspirational Beading: What is your favorite bead or material to pair these with?

Ellen: I like the way wool has a little bit of fuzz to it. For instance, in this brooch, I enjoy the combination of the furry background with the smoothness of the beads: Sparkle Flower Brooch. And this bowl also has a fun combination of textures: Bounce Bowl.

Inspirational Beading: If you were stranded on the moon, and you could have only one kind of bead with you, would you choose these?

Button Garland by yellowee

Ellen: If I were stranded on the moon, I would probably be totally happy with a big bowl full of shiny glass beads, especially if there were lots of colors to choose from. I'd be really sad if I didn't have any yarn, though! I need both!

Inspirational Beading: In your opinion, what is the best source for these beads?

Ellen: I love to get supplies on Etsy. There are always other crafters de-stashing something that they don't need anymore, so you can get some good deals. And I like to know that I am supporting another crafter when I buy something.

You can see more delightful bead and fiber creations in Ellen’s shop yellowee, and on her blog, ebebee crafts.

Copyright 2011 Inspirational Beading and yellowee
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook


1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com