Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wild Feather Necklace

Tribal Striped Bead Strands

For my last destash mission, I tackled some pretty little seed bead cubes. After making three cuff bracelets, and carefully choosing the best beads for the job, I was left with a small handful of cubes with very sharp edges. Though I was determined to use them all up, I didn’t want to stitch with these remainders. Whatever project they ended up in, it would have to involve single strands with seed beads between each cube to act as bumpers.

As soon as I had that image in mind, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with these cubes, right down to the colors. All I could see was an alternating pattern of turquoise cubes with red seed beads, and I couldn’t wait to get started. I played around with palettes/pattern combinations for awhile, and finally decided to just let the beads decide what colors would go where. All I had to do was pick a method.

I wanted a multi-strand necklace, and I wanted it to be easy to make. My last attempt at metal-free multi-strand without a complicated beadwork base was fairly successful, but I didn’t relish the idea of stringing thousands of seed beads onto a single thread. I decided to try a different approach that would work up much faster, with stronger results, and allow for a variety of different strand patterns.

Instead of working with a single continuous strand, I made several small ones until the beads ran out. Then all I had to do was gather them up with seed bead loops, anchored to some matching beadwork. Instead of spiral rope anchors, this time I used reverse daisy chain with the last of my black-and-white druks. I was able to mimic all of the opaque colors in the strands except for blue, and I actually prefer the omission.

Feather Stripe Necklace

My destash challenge is going to start getting a lot tougher from here on, since I’ve used up some of my favorite beads, and I’m left with a lot of miscellaneous focals and odd beads. I’m not sure that I’ll be able to top this necklace, which turned out to be so much more than the beads that it started with.

I can't help thinking that the combination of opaque colors and stripes resembles feathers from some kind of exotic game bird. I was so very tempted to call this necklace "Wild Turkey". What do you see?

Copyright 2012 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook


7 comments:

  1. Love this! So cool and so wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this necklace, these colors are beautiful together. They are bold and fun. I liked the name you picked out for it, "Wild Turkey." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the Wild Turkey, but it looks like more of a Chinese Pheasant to me, one of my favorite birds. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The necklace is gorgeous, and the colors fit so nicely together. I really think the name you picked for it really fits :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a glorious necklace, Morti! Love how you explained the creative process that birthed this necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just see happy!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com