Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Inspired Beader: Three Fates Design

How many times a day does the average beader think about creating their own unique beads to work with? For the self-taught beadweaver and lampworker behind Three Fates Design, it’s already a dream come true.

Designer Victoria, of Southern Wisconsin, works as a research assistant and has a degree in biology from the University of Wisconsin. Outside the lab, she uses her love of beads to create interesting, one of a kind pieces. With a preference for beaded cuffs and a new found love of lampworking, this inspired beader shows us that we can work in multiple mediums for maximum creativity.

Purple Hoops



Inspirational Beading: How did you first discover beading?

Victoria: I was in high school. I lived in a house full of artists, everyone had some sort of artsy thing, except me. And trust me, I tried everything from painting, to sewing, to sculpting. My parents were always real supportive in helping me find my creative voice. Then one day my mom bought me a few beads and some string, and well, I was hooked.

Purple Twist Lampwork BeadIB: Beadweaving or bead making? Do you have a preference?

Victoria: This is such a hard question. I don’t think I really have a preference; I enjoy both of them so much. I love beadweaving a whole bunch, and have been doing it for so long, that I would never give it up.

But lampworking is exciting and just as addictive as beadweaving. Maybe in a few years when I’ve worked with the glass a little bit more, I’ll have a different take. Who knows?

IB: Where do you find the most inspiration?


Victoria: I seem to find inspiration everywhere. I really love nature; there are always beautiful color palates and fantastic shapes and patterns. And I love thumbing through fashion magazines. Some of that runway stuff is so colorful and crazy, how could you not be inspired. I also find inspiration at my “day job.” I work in a molecular genetics lab, so I see some really great patterns and shapes. I’m always looking for inspiration.

Bloody Mary Twist Lampwork Bead


IB: Do you have a favorite color to work with?


Victoria: I would love to say green, because I probably own every shade of green bead and glass rod out there, but don’t ever seem to make anything with them. Maybe I’m saving them (all of them) for something special? The number one color I seem to be drawn to is blue. The majority of my work is in blue. I guess I secretly love blue.

Art Deco Beaded Cuff


IB: Who do you hope to inspire with your work?


Victoria: I’ve never really thought about this. I guess I would like to inspire other beaders and designers. I’d like to show them that you should never give up. If one thing doesn’t work, then try something else. Who knows what you’ll learn about yourself.

Victoria of Three Fates Design
You can view the amazing selection of beaded bracelets, necklaces and earrings at Victoria’s shops on Etsy and 1000 Markets. The variety of beading techniques and design concepts in her collection is truly inspiring. To see some of her hot-off-the-press designs, check in with her blog Three Fates Design.


4 comments:

  1. Great interview I enjoyed reading it. Victoria's work is wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her work has a fearlessness to it, doesn't it? There are so many different techniques and styles, it's a great example of what happens when you're willing to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for interviewing me. This was my first interview. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! I hope you have many more to look forward to in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com