Thursday, August 14, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Bead & Button 2006

The very first beading magazine that I ever purchased was the Bead & Button August 2006 issue. Just looking through the pages again I’m amazed at how much things have changed in my creative space. I was excited to try new techniques, explore jewelry design ideas, and learn more about the beads I was using - everything seemed new. At the time, many of the projects were intimidating, but I wasn't afraid to make adjustments to the instructions to bring them closer to my comfort and skill level.

If I remember correctly, the very first magazine project I tried was the diagonal peyote necklace by Rebecca Peapples on page 68. The design was inspired by Bargello weaving, and featured carefully stitched peyote with drop beads and dangles. I made three variations using the materials that I had. Back then it seemed like I had all the time in the world to bead.

Bead and Button August 2006 Issue Desert Star Necklace Inspired by Rebecca Peapples


Although peyote stitch is incredibly versatile, and able to morph into such interesting shapes, it never grew on me the way other stitches have. I learned a lot from this project, but I never had the desire to try the diagonal approach again. My other favorite projects from this issue include the fragrant beaded beads by Deni Whaley, Virginia Jensen’s loopy trimmed loom cuffs, and the shell donut necklace by Julia Gerlach.

Do you remember your first beading magazine or book?

Copyright 2014 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


1 comment:

  1. We must have started beading around the same time. I had to laugh since I still have the bargello design from that magazine on my to-try list. My first pieces were sorry little strung necklaces and then I discovered the world of seed beads and never looked back!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com