Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Time Capsule: August 2008

It was three years ago this month that Inspirational Beading began, and I started on a journey that seemed so small at first. Four hundred and fifty posts later, I can hardly believe how much this blog has grown. My original concept was simply to share what I was making, what inspired it, and the materials that I had used. But new ideas kept forming, and now Inspirational Beading has so many regular segments that I can barely fit them all in every month.

One of my favorite things about blogging, is creating a stamp in time - a reference to what was happening at that moment. It’s fun, and sometimes a little scary, to go back and review old posts. For me, it’s wonderful to see how much my designs and photography have improved, along with my skills as a blogger.

To celebrate how far Inspirational Beading has come, we’re going to go back and take a look at some posts from three years ago, and how different they are from what you’ll find here today. There were only three posts in August 2008, and all of them were part of the original concept: The Inspiration, The Beads and The Beadwork.

Frog Conservation Bead Palette Amphibian Necklace


The difference in photography style is very noticeable. Since then, I’ve made changes to everything from backgrounds and lighting, to angles and props. Although I still use metal coasters as bead cups when I’m working on a design, it’s been a long time since I used them for photographing bead palettes. After awhile, the glare off the metal started to get to me. I much prefer the small, clear cups that I use now, which make seed beads look more full, and displaying accent beads loose against the backdrop.

Print Dress Bead Palette Print Dress Necklace


I experimented with a lot of different background materials, including cloth, felt, paper and mirrors. None of them really produced nice photographs, especially with poor lighting. Today I’m really happy with the textured black posterboard and indirect sunlight approach. The third photograph below was taken in April of 2010, as part of the 6th Photo Game. I re-photographed the beads from one of my original posts to show the difference in style and quality. Today, I’m happy to report that I finally used up that bead mixture!

Iris Bead Mixture Iris Bead Mixture Necklace Iris Bead Mixture Redux


Do you ever look back on old blogs or journals and compare them to today?

Copyright 2011 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook


5 comments:

  1. I like your use of natural light in your photos. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your 3 yr anniversary. I very much enjoy your blog and appreciate your generosity in sharing so much information with us. Please keep up the good work!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I look back. I've been keeping some sort of journal ever since I could write. It's nice to have a reference for different events in the past, but I honestly don't read over much else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much everyone! Here's to another 3 years and beyond!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com