Thursday, April 22, 2010

Poster Sketch: Beautiful Earth

For every person that makes caring for the Earth a part of their daily routine, there is another person who just doesn’t see the point. Most of us know one of each - the fanatic and the apathetic. I’m proud to be of the fanatic variety, and I’m constantly alienating myself with my no-tolerance attitudes toward pollution and wasteful living. I can’t watch television without yelling, because I can’t understand how the censors can allow green-washing in so many advertisements.

On days like today - Earth Day - there are plenty of people shrugging and saying “What’s the point?”. I’ve often heard people say that having a holiday for the planet isn’t going to change anything. I disagree, or course. Earth Day, Earth Hour and every opportunity that we take to talk about the environment helps to keep the issues current, topical and on our minds. For today, I invite everyone - especially the skeptics - to think about these questions:

How much plastic am I throwing out every week?
Do I really need to eat imported produce?
Am I recycling everything that I can?
Am I pouring anything down the drain that I wouldn’t want to soak my fish dinner in?
If I had a choice, is this the kind of environment I’d want to give to my children?


In honor of Earth Day, I have collected some Etsy favorites that can remind even the most cynical person what a beautiful world we’re messing up. This week, I’m trying out the new Treasury East tool. To see the entire collection and the artists, visit the Beautiful Earth Treasury List.

Etsy Picks: Beautiful Earth



Copyright 2010 Inspirational Beading and Etsy.com


14 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much to have been featured my LOVING THE WORLD NECKLACE !!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GORGEOUS collection! Thanks so much for featuring our Snow Apple collar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am honored by your kindness! Thank you so much for including my Earth symbol Polymer Clay Cab!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say i'm trying but got a long way to go when it comes to reuse, recycly ... but i keep it always in my ming and try to do more every time.
    THe treasury you assembled is beautiful! show us that when we care for earth,recycle and reuse we can create beautiful things.
    Love Lauren's ring

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, very earthy.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, beautiful collection :) I know Scaccoalleregine's creations, so funny and joyful :) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful collection! A great celebration of Earth Day's 40th Birthday!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for stopping by to see the collection! Little gestures like these are what makes events like Earth Day so important. Look at all of us talking about it right now!

    It's important to remember that not all that's green is eco-friendly. Some people say that Earth Day sucks - http://www.darcynorman.net/2008/04/22/earth-day-sucks/ - but I strongly disagree. It's the people who exploit it and ignore it who suck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You picked some beautiful items! I just finally bought some reusable shopping bags today - better late than never right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm inpressed with the efficiency from the viewers standpoint of having a poster sketch on a blog instead of spending the time and electricity searching for high quality items on my own. I need to learn how to do this (and the treasury making skills for etsy). Great collection.

    Recycle tip: I reuse my brown paper grocery bags I get from the grocery store; they last about 6 months. No one cares if they are from the competition either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reusing paper grocery bags would be even better for the environment than buying the mass-produced cloth ones. They contain plastic - which never biodegrades - and are often made in China.

    Of course, there are some awesome repurposed and organic cloth bags on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful treasury and theme. Even small steps have a big impact.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com