Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Spiral Ladybug Necklace

Lady Bug Cluster by LaVeta Jude
Lady Bug Cluster
Photo Credit: LaVeta Jude.

“Embedded Colors in the World of Insects” is the May theme in the Etsy BeadWeavers challenge. Team member Isabella asked participants to create a piece that represents tiny insects in their vast environments. There are many beautiful and interesting bugs that could inspire beadwork, and I considered many of my favorites, such as the scarab beetle. In the end, I decided to challenge myself and select one of the more common insects for my entry.

The ladybug is a favorite because it is so cute, with it’s pretty wings and round body. They are also treasured among gardeners, because they eat smaller, unwanted pests. Luring and encouraging ladybugs is an important part of organic gardening. Usually, ladybugs are depicted with bright, cherry red wings and perfectly round spots.

The Inspiration:

In nature, most ladybugs have a tomato-like coloring, ranging from under ripe yellows, to deep summer reds. Their markings are far from uniform, with many interesting shapes in black and white. I wanted to create a piece that would include all of the colors of ladybugs in nature, while avoiding the classic round shape of a cartoon beetle.

Ladybug Bead Palette

The Beads:

I started by creating two bead soups. The first contained assorted seed beads and accents in black, white and crimson. I combined two pre-made black and white mixtures with other beads from my stash until it looked just right. The second bead soup contained oranges, yellows, and natural reds. There were a few green seed beads in the mix, which I would have to ignore, though I did end up using many of them as stop beads.

Twirling Ladybugs Necklace
Twirling Ladybugs Necklace

The Beadwork:

I considered many free form beadwork designs before finally deciding on double spiral, which would allow me to showcase the ladybug palettes evenly. I can only assume that the two color mixtures have the desired effect, because at one point my husband asked why I was making a cluster of ladybugs.

I increased the spiral rows gradually as I stitched, and at random. When it came time to start decreasing, I started to wish I had used some sort of system to count increases, but I was able to make the second half of the rope fairly even with the first. I finished it off with a few black druks - like bugs on a log - and a button clasp.

The Etsy BeadWeavers “Insects” Challenge opens May 9th. Visitors can vote for their favorite entry until May 15th. Stop by the EBW Team blog to see all of the amazing beadwork creations.

Copyright 2010 Inspirational Beading and The Sage's Cupboard


9 comments:

  1. I love the effect and the necklace. Good luck in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the inspiration picture and your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful interpretation of the theme. I love your double spiral stitch necklace...it's a technique that I have yet to try, but I just might after seeing what you have done with it ;-) Best of luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic texture! And I love the inspiration photo as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful inspired necklace! I bet you'll do great in the challenge, I love your beadwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! For awhile it felt like this piece was going to take forever to finish. Still, when it was done, I wanted to make another right away. I love the slinky texture of the long spirals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ladybugs and this combo is very intriging. I look at it and think of a big mess of ladybugs. You noled it and I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com