Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Ring a Day - Nineteen

Harlequin Orbital Ring
Ring # 19 - Harlequin

My favorite thing about a failed beading experiment is that I get a new piece for my own collection. My jewelry box is filled with not-quite-perfect designs, and although they’re not good enough to sell, I love to wear them.

These cast-offs also serve another purpose. To test out the durability of my work, I treat my own beadwoven pieces terribly. I basically do the exact opposite of every point in my jewelry care guide. All of my necklaces are hung on pegs. My cuffs and bangles sit in a messy jumble, out in the open where dust and sunlight can attack them. I let my toddler play with my jewelry. I keep my rings on a shelf under the medicine cabinet, where they are bombarded by steam on a daily basis. The only rule I don’t break is hand washing. Even though these pieces are already messy, broken or silly, I still want to keep them looking nice.

Today’s ring started out as a great idea. I took my usual herringbone design, and tried to add a little something new. I thought that it would look neat to suspend the focal bead within a peyote ring, like a little wheel. I even bought some delicas especially for the design.

In my mind, the ring looked great. Even the photos of it look pretty good. But in reality, it’s quite ridiculous. The peyote ring bobs and wiggles like some unexplainable cereal box prize. I do love the color palette though, so I’ve set it aside for another day. The ring has joined my other “Oops” designs on the shelf. I can’t wait to wear it!

Normally, I might mourn the death of a great idea, but I’m just too excited to care. Ring # 17, Baby Fish Blues, is now available from the Help the Gulf Coast collective Etsy shop. Seeing it there, waiting for a new owner, is really uplifting. I only hope that it can help!

Copyright 2010 Inspirational Beading


3 comments:

  1. I bought it! I couldn't resist! As a beader myself, I often have a hard time talking myself into buying someone else's beadwork. (I am also a cheapskate.) I think, "Oh, that's lovely, but given enough time and trial and error, I could make it for cheaper." Of course, this is beside the point, because I almost never bead for myself. But your blog has given me so may wonderful ideas, and it's such a good cause... And I love your little starfish!

    Of course, this doesn't actually support you, so I will still have to buy something from your etsy store some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm very happy to know that the ring is going to a good home. And it's a wonderful feeling to be part of something so big, so powerful, and so important.

    I know how you feel about buying jewelry. But sometimes you see something that's just irresistible - you'd rather have it now than make it. I do hope I can make something you'll like one day!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com